29 September 2013

Full English vegetarian breakfast 2.0


I am quite surprised that my most popular blog post so far is the one about full English vegetarian breakfast. You can read the original post here. I called today's post Full English vegetarian breakfast 2.0 because I wanted to revisit and improve my original post and make another English breakfast suggestion. This time I added a firm favourite to it: hash browns. These little fried potato cakes are lovely for breakfast.

The amount I cooked here will feed two very hungry adults.

Hash browns


This recipe makes six small hash browns.

300g potatoes grated
1 small onion
1 egg
1tsp salt
Ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying

Grate the potatoes and remove the excess fluid of them. I did this by pressing them in a potato ricer. If you use the smallest setting of the ricer, it won't press the grated potatoes through, but just squeezes the fluid out.

Chop the onion very finely and add it to the potatoes. Add the egg, salt and pepper and mix. I shaped the hash browns by using a small round cookie cutter. Place the cutter on a spatula, put the potato mix in there and press it firmly to shape. Then just slide the hash brown off the spatula straight into the pan.

Fry the hash browns on both sides until golden brown.

Cheese omelette


2 eggs
4tbsp milk
Little Double Gloucester cheese grated
Nettle salt (any other will do)
Ground black pepper
2-3 fresh basil leaves
Vegetable oil for frying

Mix all the ingredients together and fry the omelette on both sides at moderate heat.

Other components

1 can of baked beans in tomato sauce – The beans just need warming up in a saucepan.


Fried bread – Fry bread slices in little vegetable oil until crispy.

6 Cumberland vegetarian sausages – I just used ready made sausages from the shop. Bake them in the oven for a while.



Serve the breakfast with coffee or tea and orange juice. Then prepare to get full!

Your VegHog


6 comments:

  1. YUM! I ate a spinach and feta cheese omelette today with fruit and wheat toast. I just love breakfasts like these; thank you for sharing!
    I also ate beans later on during the day for lunch so today was ultimately a very good day. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, your omelette sounds delish! I'll have to try something similar soon. I've had a long omelette break and I don't know why. :)

      Delete
  2. You should do eggy breads too. They're wonderful for a full English ^_^
    Whisk eggs with a fork in a medium bowl. Cut bread slices in half and dip in to soak up the egg. Then fry both sides. 1 medium egg does three bread halves (1 & 1/2 slices).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of this treat at all! I'll have to give it a try. Thank you very much!

      Delete
    2. Eggy bread works well with sugar and syrup. I wouldn't put it on a fry up. But then I wouldn't do omelette either, it has to be fried eggs!

      Delete
    3. Hello :) I wouldn't have eggy bread as part of a fry-up either, but it's terrific on its own (although, since I eat meat, I often add a couple of rashers of bacon on the side). I started adding a dash of milk to the egg mixture recently which I think improves it. But it's definitely salty, not sweet! :)

      (However, as a Brit I would absolutely agree with never putting an omelette in a fry-up!)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.