13 January 2014

The Eagle and Child Pub in Oxford


”The Bird and Baby”, as it was called by its locals J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and their fellow ”Inklings”, who liked to meet in this pub and discuss their literary ventures. Whenever The VegHog is in Oxford, it will make sure to visit The Eagle and Child as it has such a great vibrant atmosphere and good drink selection in a convenient location. The Eagle and Child has been a public house since 1650, which means that also the building is a fascinating one. The atmosphere is normally relaxed even though it can a very busy pub.


Last weekend I had the pleasure to visit Oxford again, so I went to this pub a couple of times. I had great Saturday evening drinks and a wonderful vegetarian Sunday roast with a nut roast, roasted veg and Yorkshire pudding with a cosy mulled cider to finish it off.


For a while now I have been trying to track down the newish Weston's cider Rosie's Pig, and finally at The Eagle and Child I got lucky and was able to taste it. Rosie's Pig is very easy to drink for a cloudy cider due to its soft and mild taste, but please be still careful as that might deceive you at some point.

I really recommend a visit to The Eagle and Child and the beautiful Oxford.

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.