1 June 2014

Pineapple curry


The idea of making a pineapple curry has been haunting me for a while now, and guess what, now I've finally made it. I like pineapple in sweet dishes, in juices and smoothies, but also in savoury ones, and above all on a pizza. I have tasted a few pineapple curries, and have been quite impressed with them.

I was very happy with this dish that came together after looking into several South Indian pineapple curry recipes, and then combining the seasoning and ingredients after my own taste. This curry has a gentle spiciness combined with the sweetness of pineapple.



½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli flakes
8 curry leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
160 ml coconut cream
1 small pineapple
4 shallots
3 garlic cloves
1 cup rice

Grind the mustard and cumin seeds into powder.

Chop the shallots and garlic finely.

Peel the pineapple and remove the core, then chop it into cubes.

Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and cook the shallots and garlic until soft.

Add the ground mustard and cumin seeds and stir for a couple of minutes.

Then add the pineapple cubes, turmeric, chilli flakes and curry leaves into the pan.

Pour in the coconut cream and salt and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Taste that you are happy with the seasoning, or add anything you think is lacking. Adding a little water at this stage can adjust the thickness of the sauce to your taste. You can start boiling the rice now as well.

Serve the curry with the rice and be astonished how easy it was!



Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. I love pineapple on my pizza too!! I always get pineapple with jalapeños. :9
    The photos really grabbed my attention and my mouth started watering. Hahah I just woke up and this was one of the first things on my blogger dashboard! I can imagine how delish it must be.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pineapple with jalapenos sounds very interesting, but could be too spicy for me. I'm quite a lightweight when it comes to hot spices. :D This curry had just the right balance for me, but others might want to add more heat.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.