17 June 2014

Spelt flake and cider rolls

I don't know, if anybody else is as crazy about spelt as I am, because I don't see that many recipes made with spelt products. However, you can trust that I will continue posting spelt recipes and this one is just full of spelt! These rolls are high in fibre and iron and have a cider twist to the flavour. I recently purchased organic spelt porridge flakes in bulk, which I used for this recipe. At the moment they ensure most of my breakfasts in porridge form, but they are also very suitable for baking.


This recipe makes about 10 small hearty spelt rolls with added cider power.

300 ml dry cider
50 g butter
2 tbsp dry yeast
2 dl spelt flakes
5 dl spelt flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt


Warm the cider lukewarm and add the yeast and the spelt flakes in there.

Mix the dry ingredients and melt the butter.

Combine all the ingredients and knead to a dough and let it rise for one hour.

Then shape rolls from the dough and place them on a baking tray. Sprinkle some more spelt flakes on the top and let rise for further 30 minutes under a teatowel.

Bake the rolls at 200C for about 15 minutes until fully baked. Serve when they are still slightly warm.


Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. I love spelt grain, so far I have used spelt flour,I am getting it online from Shipton mill, wheat flour as well, I have been making my own sourdough bread for the past year and I love it. Keep posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you also like spelt, Laura! I will be posting more recipes. Do you have any good tips for making a sourdough bread, as I'm pretty useless at it. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.