23 September 2014

Onion squash tart


Today's recipe came about as a very spontaneous thing. I'd had that onion squash for a while, and I wanted to try something new with it. After a short consideration, I really started craving a pasty, pie or tart, so a tart it became. I used ready made pastry, which made it a really easy one. It would make quite a nice seasonal treat for your informal guests.


About this tart I love the sweet squash taste combined with earthy emmental cheese and toasted pine nuts. Savoury tarts are definitely among my favourite veggie foods of all time.

Here are the ingredients I used and instructions for making this tart. I know that the pre-roasting can be a pain, but taste wise it really gets results!

Ingredients

1 small onion squash
2 shallots
2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp olive oil
320 g puff pastry sheet
2 tsp Herbes de Provence
30 g toasted pine nuts
100 g emmental cheese
1 egg for brushing

Method

Peel the squash, remove the seeds and cut it into wedges. Roast the squash wedges brushed with olive oil at 200C for about 30 minutes.

Chop the shallots and garlic finely and cook them in olive oil until soft. Add one teaspoon of Herbes de Provence into the mix.

Line a large tart tin with baking paper and place the pastry in there. Brush it with the beaten egg. Pre-bake the pastry at 200C for about 5 minutes until it puffs up a bit.

Then layer the ingredients on the pastry, shallots and garlic mix first, then the grated cheese, the roasted squash wedges and finally the pine nuts and a final addition of Herbes de Provence.

Bake the tart at 200C for about 20 minutes until nicely baked.




Enjoy!

Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and just in time for the pumpkin harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debs! Sometimes the spontaneous ideas are the best. I need new squash and pumpkin recipes now all the time. :)

      Delete
  2. Spontaneous recipes are sometimes the most delicious. I hope to make something similar soon, as pumpkins and squashes are beginning to arrive in my kitchen, but we still have some tomatoes would you believe and they are being turned into tarts similar to this. Lovely. Love Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. We have extremely productive tomato vines and I actually made a very similar tart to this with them. Maybe I'll publish that recipe later as well.

      I love autumn too! I'm so happy to be able to cook autumn dishes, although it's still quite warm outside.

      Delete
  3. Look forward to seeing your Tomato Tart recipe, I don't know if I will get to share mine during VeganMofo, but def. in October. And yes, it is quite warm, so not quite the right time for soup yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already made a squash soup once this month. I just couldn't wait any longer! :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.