10 November 2014

Spelt crêpes with a cheesy mushroom filling


Now I'm on the spelt crêpe trip and just can't get enough of them! When I was planning for a further savoury vegetarian crêpe recipe, it became apparent that mushrooms would be the right choice for the filling. The nuttiness of the spelt is just divine with earthy mushrooms. I used chestnut mushrooms, but I can't see why not many other variations couldn't be used. If only could I get fresh chanterelles at the moment! I chose basil as the herb for this dish, but why not try sage or thyme as well.

This recipe will make about four large crêpes.

Batter ingredients:

2 eggs
4 dl milk
2 dl spelt flour
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt

Other ingredients:

Butter for frying
5-6 chestnut mushrooms
1 shallot
1 garlic clove
1 tsp olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper
Handful of fresh basil leaves
100 g mature cheddar



Method

Whisk the crêpe ingredients into a smooth batter and let it rest for about 30 minutes in the fridge.

Chop the crêpe fillings: slice the mushrooms, chop the shallot and garlic finely and grate the cheese.

Heat the olive oil in a pan and cook the shallot and garlic until soft. Add the mushroom slices and cook until the mushroom liquid has evaporated. Season the mix with salt and pepper.

Heat some butter in a pan and fry the crêpes golden brown on both sides. Place the filling into the middle of the flat crêpe while it's still in the pan. Turn the crêpe corners over the filling in order to cover it. Let it in the pan for few moments so that the cheese can melt a little and the flavours blend.

Have you ever made savoury crêpes? What are your favourite fillings?

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever baked or used spelt in my cooking, not during blogging anyway, Your spelt crepes look lovely , golden and crisp. I am not a hue mushroom fan, but even I would eat this happily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bulk ordered spelt flour and pearled spelt recently, so I'm constantly trying to use it everywhere. The flavour is really nice, a bit nuttier than regular wheat flour. If you don't like mushrooms so much, you could also fill these with any other vegetables!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.