19 December 2014

Sweet potato and bean burgers


Why can't a veggie burger or Schnitzel be part of a Christmas meal, especially in various pre-Christmas parties? I think it certainly can, and would make a refreshing change. That's why I made Christmassy sweet potato and bean burgers.


Make with this recipe about 16 generous sized burgers.

Ingredients
1 kg sweet potatoes
240 g / 1 can red kidney beans
2 onions
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp chilli flakes
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
Ground black pepper to taste
Ground nutmeg to taste
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 dl spelt flour (or wheat)
3 eggs
2 dl semolina
1 dl breadcrumbs

Vegetable oil for frying

Method

Peel the sweet potatoes, boil them in water and mash. I did this stage on the previous night, as I'm known to be impatient to wait for the mash to cool. It also gets a bit firmer and easier to handle, if it rests longer. Anyway, let the mash cool, even if you boil the sweet potatoes on the same day.

Chop the onions and garlic finely and cook them soft in olive oil. Add the beans to the pan with the seasoning and let cook for a few minutes. Then also let this mix cool.

Combine the bean mix with the sweet potato mash and add the maple syrup. Add couple of tablespoons of flour to the batter, if it feels too soft and the burgers won't hold together.

Make an assembly line of three plates: flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs combined with semolina.

Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan and start shaping the burgers. Then roll them first in the flour, then the egg wash and finally the breadcrumbs. Fry the burgers on both sides until crispy.

Serve with rolls or as Schnitzel. I also served here some sea buckthorn jelly on the side in whimsical hedgehog and mushroom shapes.






Enjoy!

Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. I so agree, I made a Festive Burger a couple of years back with vegetables associated with Christmas in the UK, inc. sprouts http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/festive-vegetarian-christmas-burger.html
    But I have to say, its your sea buckthorn jelly that has me most intrigued. I've foraged for buckthorn when I lived in Scotland and a made buckthorn drink, very sharp - so would love to learn how you made your jelly. Will have to keep an eye out for buckthorn when I venture to beaches here in Wales.
    PS have the schnizel recipe bookmarked to make in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a look at your Christmas burger recipe and it is absolutely fabulous! I want to try those one day.

      I have posted last summer how I normally make my sea buckthorn jelly ( http://the-veghog.blogspot.fi/2013/08/sea-buckthorn-berry-jelly-served-with.html ), but this time I made it with a sea buckthorn powder made by the Arctic Power Berries. I adore those berries so much and they are the ultimate super food. I have even baked a tasty bread with that powder.

      Delete
  2. This is making me sooo hungry! I'd eat this for the rest of this December.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make a batch, then you actually can eat them for the rest of December! :D

      Delete
  3. YUM!! These look amazing! I'll be making these for dinner this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katy Lee! Let me know how do you like them! :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.