13 May 2015

Freekeh salad with barbeque flavours


Today was quite warm here, but I'm not sure if the good weather is going to continue. However now it's nice to dream of summer and eat a light salad with barbeque flavours at least. I found this tasty barbeque sauce and bought it even though it refers quite heavily to meat products. The product itself is of course suitable for vegetarians and quite tasty, so I try to ignore the name. I haven't used barbeque sauces for ages, maybe it's just not something that vegetarians do so often, but now I'm totally hooked. I can see this coating many vegetables for me and adding flavour. What are your thoughts about barbeque sauce?


I used these ingredients for the salad:

2 romano peppers
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp barbeque sauce
½ cup freekeh
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp vegetable stock powder
250 g halloumi
1 tsp vegetable oil
Mixed salad leaves

First I chopped the peppers into generous cubes and roasted them coated in olive oil. Once they were roasted, I coated them with the barbeque sauce and let marinade for a while.

Chop the garlic finely and cook it a little in olive oil. Add the freekeh, water and vegetable stock powder and cook until done.

Cut the halloumi into cubes and fry them in vegetable oil until they are golden brown.

Serve all these components with some mixed salad leaves. I served the freekeh, barbeque peppers and halloumi warm, but the salad is also tasty when served cold.



Have a nice week!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. I agree the weather is changing and it has been considerably warm, like you I have made a American vegan sort of BBQ dish which I will share tomorrow, but to answer your question re BBQ sauce - it is not something I grew up eating, and even as an adult it entered my life late - I find some of the sauces too meaty in flavour, so am selective - the one you recommend looks good so I will look out for it. The peppers coated in it look glossy and flavourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the bbq sauce. I didn't grow up with it either, but it's sometimes nice to add this different flavour to dishes.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.