21 November 2015

Vegetarian Fish & Chips


It's time to transform a classic British dish into a vegetarian version. Vegetarian fish and chips, what an earth, you may think! Well, my version doesn't have much at all to do with fish, but I still wanted to keep the name of the traditional dish. I used Halloumi cheese as fake fish in this recipe and it actually worked out rather nicely for the taste, texture and looks. It was rolled in my special cider batter before deep frying. I served my fake fish with very chunky hand-cut oven-baked skin-on chips (wow that's many hyphens, not sure, if they are all really needed!), peas and spicy chilli mayo.


Here's how this dish came together.

The chips:

2 large baking potatoes
Vegetable oil
Smoked paprika
Salt

Cut the baking potatoes into chunky chips, brush them with vegetable oil, sprinkle with smoked paprika and salt and bake in the oven until done.

The veggie fish:

250 g halloumi
Vegetable oil
Wheat flour
Smoked paprika
White papper
Bicarbonate of soda
Dry cider

Cut the halloumi into thin slices and cook them in vegetable oil on both sides until golden brown. I really wanted to add this step, as I don't fancy undercooked halloumi, it always needs to be properly cooked for me.

Make the batter by whisking flour, smoked paprika, white pepper, bicarbonate of soda and dry cider together into a smooth, but not too runny, batter. I can't really give the amounts here, as I just mixed it all together and it seemed to be the perfect texture. You can add more flour or cider, if the texture isn't quite right. The bottomline is that it should easily coat the halloumi for deep frying.

Heat enough vegetable oil in a deep pan so that it will cover the halloumi slices. Coat the halloumi slices with the batter and put them into the hot oil. They should get golden brown and crispy fairly quickly. Then transport them onto a kitchen roll to tap off any excess oil.


The sides:

Gran Luchito Chilli Mayo (this added a nice spicy kick to the dish)
As many frozen peas as you want to eat, cooked with a little butter, marjoram and salt.



And this was it, very tasty, a very good option for the traditional fish and chips! Have a great weekend everyone!




Your VegHog

9 comments:

  1. That is an interesting idea! I adore halloumi cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! Yes, halloumi is the best and it works well here. :)

      Delete
  2. looks lovely and the peas make it seem a little bit more healthy than the regular fish and chips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that it would need a bit of a veg addition, as the dish would be too fatty otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Yum, looks rather scrummy. I've made a take on vegan tofu 'fish' and chips a long while back, but I'd much rather prefer the halloumi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that tofu fish would also be pretty good, I might actually try that as well. It would be a bit healthier.

      Delete
  4. Hi, looks like a great dish! Maybe we should try this as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nebel, yes try it and let me know how you liked it! :)

      Delete
  5. "It is great to have the opportunity to read a good quality article with useful information on topics that plenty are interested one.I concur with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your future updates vegetarian fruit snacks"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.