15 May 2016

Black bean and kale tacos


I've been so fond of Mexican food lately. I think I could have it every day, as there are so many wonderful veggie options and beans are really good for you. It's also very dangerous that my local pub makes a very good veggie burrito and it's huge. I really shouldn't be having that so often, as I almost can't walk home anymore afterwards, that's how big the portion is.

Now I decided to make slightly different tacos with soft taco shells, filled with black beans with smoked chilli flavours and kale as the additional green. These were really nice tacos and the top kale bits crisped a little bit in the oven, which I love. So here is my recipe.

Ingredients

1 onion
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tin black beans
1 small tin sweetcorn
Ground coriander to taste
Ground cumin to taste
Smoked paprika to taste
Chilli flakes to taste
Smoked chilli paste to taste
1 lime's juice
2 tbsp tomato purée
160 g kale
8 soft taco shells
Grated cheddar
Red jalapenos
Sour cream
Fresh coriander


Method

Chop the onion and garlic finely and start cooking them in vegetable oil until the onion is slightly browned.

Add the black beans, sweetcorn and seasoning to the mix. Also add the lime's juice and tomato purée.

Steam the kale for a few minutes and add to the beans.

Fill the taco shells with the bean and kale mix.

Add some grated cheddar on the top and bake them in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese has melted and the taco shells are partly crispy.

Serve with red jalapenos, sour cream and fresh coriander and enjoy!


I'm sharing this recipe with Shaheen for this month's Eat Your Greens


Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. Oh yum yum yum, one of my favourite cuisines is Mexican too. I actually made some Veg Chilli last week as it was an easy option for us to come home from work and tuck into - I love its versatility. Your addition of kale is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't veggie chillies just the best! I was pleasantly surprised how well kale went here and will be adding it to more Mexican style recipes.

      Delete
  2. I am also very fond of mexican food - I like how you bake the soft tortillas to crisp up with the filling in them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love Mexican food and these tacos sound gorgeous - I love the smokiness of smoked paprika with the black beans.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.