12 March 2017

Kale gnocchi with crispy sage butter


I got the idea for this wonderfully green dish from Mat Follas' cookbook Vegetable Perfection. Mat writes about Kale gnocchi with kale crisps (p. 38-39), and I was very much inspired by this recipe, but made my gnocchi slightly differently, so I'm sharing my own version below. I thought that it was a great idea using the nutty kale in gnocchi, instead of the usual spinach.

I served my portion with crispy sage butter, which is one of my all time favourite gnocchi sauces. Additionally I made a tomato-garlic sauce and a baked cheese twirl from vegetarian pasta cheese. Like Mat, I also made some kale crisps to be served on the side. I just tossed mine in little olive oil, smoked paprika and sea salt, and baked them crispy. All components went so well together, and my gnocchi held nicely their shape, so I was very pleased with this dish.


Kale gnocchi
Adapted from Kale gnocchi with kale crisps by Mat Follas, serves 4

700 g baking potatoes
100 g kale
2 egg yolks
1 cup wheat flour
½ tsp salt

Method

Bake the potatoes in the oven until soft. Once they are cooled down, remove the potatoes from the skins and mash.

Purée the kale into a smooth paste.

Combine the ingredients for the dough and knead. Add more flour of needed.

Wrap the dough in cling film and let rest in the fridge for about an hour.

Shape long sticks from the dough, cut into about 2 cm long pieces and press lightly with a fork. Repeat this for the whole dough until all gnocchi have been shaped.

Bring water to boil in a large pot and add the gnocchi. They are done after a few minutes when they float on the surface.

Before serving I fried the gnocchi a little bit in the sage butter. This is optional, but it does give them a nice flavour and a slightly chewier texture.

Serve the gnocchi with the sides and enjoy!



I want to share this green recipe with this month's Eat Your Greens, which Shaheen is hosting.


Have a nice Sunday!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. What looks lovely. Pretty presentation too. Its so nice to make dinner a little special with lots of different components, not something us home cooks get round to doing that often, but when we do, its a Wow moment. I still have Mat Follas cookbook on my wishlist, I know I will get it in time. Thanks for sharing with #Eatyourgreens a splendid contribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words Shaheen! Only on weekends I manage to make dishes that have several homemade components, and it's always very rewarding. That book by Mat is very nice, I've already cooked several recipes from there.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.