5 March 2017

Pulled jackfruit sandwiches


This is a dish that I have been planning in my head for a long time, and finally now I made my first version of it: vegan pulled jackfruit sandwiches. Ever since I first tried jackfruit, I was very impressed, what a versatile fruit to use in vegan and vegetarian cooking. It's only a shame that it's fairly difficult to get around here. I ordered mine online. 

By the way I really like my new disposable pine wood food trays. They are from a sustainable source and look so cute. Of course disposable plates aren't really the way to go, but for the occasional presentation they are fine. They add a little bit of a street food vibe to these.

These sandwiches were really nice, but I'm sure that I can still improve things with a little practise. Fried halloumi would go nicely in these, if you want to make a non-vegan version. Have a look at the recipe below, if you're interested.


Pulled jackfruit sandwiches

Ingredients

280 g can of jackfruit
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Vegetable stock extract to taste
Liquid smoke to taste
1 onion
1 garlic clove
Mixed salad leaves
Spiralised yellow and red beetroot
Cherry tomatoes
4 ciabatta rolls

Method

Cook the jackfruit in a pan in little oil and vegetable stock until it's soft and falls apart. Keep adding water or stock regularly so that the pan doesn't dry out. Just before serving mix in the liquid smoke.

Cut the onion into half rings and fry them in a pan. Chop the garlic clove finely and cook it with the onion for a few minutes.

Mix the jackfruit with the onion.

Prepare the fresh veg for the sandwiches and bake the rolls.

Fill the rolls with the veg and jackfruit mix and enjoy!



Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Lovley, Pulled Jackfruit 'pork' is a fave discovery of mine, my husband loves it and wishes I make it more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it too, and same with my partner, he was very impressed by these little sandwiches. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.