31 March 2018

Eat Your Greens March Round Up


It's quite unbelievable that March is already almost over, and it's still not very springlike! It's still fully winter in Finland, where I am at the moment to spend Easter. We just went for a walk on a frozen river in fairly deep snow as well.

Anyway, end of the month also means end of a cooking challenge, and I'm happy to share with you the lovely Eat Your Greens contributions for this month. As you can see, people have been busy cooking veggie food again, which is just great. I think that there was a good variety of things and different shades of green in this month's selection. So let's have a look at what has been shared with us.

Sadhna from Herbs, Spices and Tradition cooked Green Peas Paratha, which is Indian flat bread stuffed with peas. I agree with Sadhna that peas are very tasty and healthy, and really nice greens to eat. I also prefer the fresh ones, when they are in season. This is a lovely flatbread, which I would like to try making.


Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen, my lovely Eat Your Greens co-host, shared an Iranian Pearl Barley Soup - Ash-e Jo Jow with us.The dish looks very comforting for this colder spring time. It contains pearl barley, chickpeas and a lot of greens like spinach, dill, coriander and Shaheen's homegrown leek, together with warming spices. I would be ready to try this anytime.


Kari from Bite-sized thoughts made a Spiced carrot and red lentil soup. The soup is golden in colour, but contains nice greens in shape of leeks and celery. Remember that your dish doesn't have to be green all over in order to qualify for Eat Your Greens, it just needs to contain some greens! I just adore soups and this one sounds really wonderful.


Laura from Touch Wood cooked Kalettes with special rice.What makes the rice special is that it's from her home country Macedonia. It's always nice to have stuff from your home country, I know the feeling! Laura served the rice with kalettes, avocado and tomatoes. I like kalettes very much, as they look so cute and are versatile in cooking.


Emily from Cooking for Kishore made a Cucumber & Feta Salad. It's a refreshing salad that looks absolutely tempting. The greens are obviously cucumber, but also green onion and cilantro. These things all go very well with feta. I can't wait for warmer weather to eat this kind of stuff all the time!


Johanna from Green Gourmet Giraffe posted a Watermelon poke salad bowl with pickled radishes. This is a very colourful bowl indeed, featuring interesting watermelon "tuna", pickled radishes, other veggies, and edamame beans, snow peas and cucumber as the greens. This creative bowl would make such a good and uplifting lunch.


And finally, my own dish was a Speltotto with broad beans, spinach and purple sweet potatoes. I was chuffed to use those pretty purple sweet potatoes in a dish, and I combined them with greens like spinach, fresh onions with their stalks and fresh broad beans.


Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful contributions in the month of March! Now Shaheen will host the April challenge, and I hope to see your posts and many more also next month!

Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. I am envious that you are in Finland and having lovely walks albeit in the snow. I would forgive it being wintry. I think they are all delightful, each recipe enhanced further with a green veg. broad beans, edamame, kalettes, peas, leeks and cucumber.
    Thank you so so so much for hosting #EatYourGreens 2 months in a row, I totally appreciate it. I am looking forward to hosting next month and hope I get in so many good looking green and not so green dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great selection of recipes. Can't wait to see the April ones!

      Finland was good, a lot of snow, but sunny. That was actually quite delightful for walks.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting and sharing such a great selection of dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking part Kari! I hope to see more recipes from you in this challenge. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for inspiration for eating green veg - I need all I can get right now after all the easter goodies :-) And thanks for including my poke bowl in the round up. I love how different all the uses of greens are and would love to try the paratha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me, I need more greens now! Easter was indeed chocolatey... Thank you for sharing your recipe with us!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for hosting and the lovely round-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking part again! It was a really lovely recipe that I'll have to try.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.